Fundamentals of Curriculum Institute (FOCI)
Offered through the Office of Teaching and Learning (OTL), the Fundamentals of Curriculum Institute is intended for training graduate students, postdoctoral scholars, and sessional instructors in the fundamentals of curriculum design. The institute provides hands-on experience and peer-based feedback opportunities while integrating evidence-informed curriculum design as well as strategies and ideas for learner-centred based pedagogy.
By the end of the Institute, participants will be able to:
- Create applicable, concise and effective learning outcomes and lesson plans
- Develop appropriate assessment and evaluation strategies
- Design interactive lesson plans that align with learning outcomes, assessment, and learner-centred teaching approaches that utilize appropriate learning technologies
- Identify and develop active learning opportunities to increase learner engagement
- Improve their abilities to effectively grade, give feedback, assess and facilitate student learning
The Fundamentals of Curriculum Institute will happen over three consecutive afternoons.
- Augst 26th & 27th 1:00 - 4:30pm, and August 28th 1:00 - 4:00pm
In addition to the time indicated above, participants can expect an additional 5 hours per institute (asynchronous time) involved in activities
Who should register?
The Institute is designed for graduate students, postdoctoral scholars, and sessional instructors who are participating in “HyFlex” (Hybrid and Flexible) remote teaching and learning for Fall 2020. It will be valuable training for those involved in:
- Course and Content Development, such as developing assessments and engagement strategies
- Facilitation through disciplinary learning activities and exercises
- Detailed Grading of assignments and exams.