Scholarship of Teaching and Learning Grant
The Scholarship of Teaching and Learning (SoTL) outlines the processes that we engage in when “asking and answering questions about students’ learning in ways that can improve one’s own classroom and also advance the larger profession of teaching”. (Huber and Hutchings, 2005, p.1)
The goal of the SoTL grant is to provide financial support for a research project that aims to improve our understanding of student learning and the practice of teaching by:
- Conducting a scholarly examination into a meaningful question about student learning and associated teaching activities
- Gathering and analyzing evidence on factors that affect the teaching - learning experience
- Disseminating the findings publicly for peer-reviewed bodies of knowledge (disciplinary and non-disciplinary)
The SoTL grant is intended to encourage and support inquiry related to teaching and learning at the University of Guelph, whereas the Learning Enhancement Fund (LEF), focuses on the application of innovative strategies in teaching and learning.
Additional information about Educational Research and the Scholarship of Teaching and Learning is available at “What is Educational Research”.
Submissions for 2020 are now closed
Adjudication of SoTL Proposals
All proposals are made anonymous and peer-reviewed by the adjudication committee. The committee is comprised of: the Associate Vice-President (Academic) or designate (Chair), a representative of OTL, two faculty members, a teaching award winner, and a graduate student.
Proposals are evaluated based on the criteria outlined in the submission guidelines.
Successful SoTL Proposals
Applicants will be notified of a decision in May 2020.
Projects are intended to run over a 12-month period. Successful applicants will be required to provide the following during the project timeframe:
- Month 1-3 - An abstract of no more than 100 words for marketing purposes
- Month 12 - A budget update and brief report on project (template will be emailed)
- Post – project
- A presentation at the annual Teaching and Learning Innovations Conference
- Attendance at the awards reception at the annual Teaching and Learning Innovations Conference
- We also encourage publication or further dissemination at conferences (discipline specific or otherwise)